We three Pepper principals - Pierre and I, and Silent Seth - are bound for Amsterdam this afternoon. Nudge nudge, wink wink, yes, apparently they consume narcotics in Amsterdam, who knew. Believe it or not, we’re going for the beer, but that’s another story, and we’ll tell it when we’re back.
“Avez vous remarqué que les canaux concentriques d’Amsterdam ressemblent aux cercles de l’enfer?” — Albert Camus, La Chute
There’s bound to be some Net access in the week we’re over there, and blogging from abroad is probably not how we’re going to put it to use. Until the 19th or so you can excavate our 10 archival months in the Word Sandbox for your Pepper of the Earth fix, check out our friendly Colonel Mustard blogroll and Merriment links (five new ones!), or stay away in droves. Your call. There probably won’t be any new writing until then.
In the meantime, here is a listing of some of our Favorite Follies and Blasts from the Past for the fair of heart and faithful, or the comfy and curious. Read them for the first time, or peruse your way down memory’s peppery lane. It’s a generous helping, sample or ignore ‘em at will. Links open in a single new window.
PG-13 Woad House: My parody summary of King Arthur in 15-minute movie style is our top single entry to date, with a thousand or so referrals. That’s equal to a bazillion hits, in Pepper currency.
SXSW 2004 Au Poivre: Our massive daily rundown of the SXSW 2004 Music Conference in Austin is comprehensive coverage, with photo galleries, daily columns, and underdog reviews.
Pretty azza Picture: Pepper photo gallery posts include parade marchers, garish costumes, scary tattoos, and sometimes all three at once.
- Two if by Sea: The 2004 Coney Island Mermaid Parade
- Blue Man Goop: ThEnigma and Katzen
- Ghouls on Film: The 2003 Greenwich Village Halloween Parade
Pepper of the Earth Dailies: Some classic posts, new and old, culled from among the ranks of many other ones that were also good and are now thereby jealous that they didn’t get picked. Sorry, don’t mind me, I still haven’t packed yet.
- To Sit for a Spell: A Night Nearly Spent at Freddy’s Backroom
- Keira Eleison: An Open Letter to Keira Knightley
- Bad Pennmanship: You Know, Sean Penn Sucked in That Movie
- Willier Than Thou: Norah Jones and the Little Willies (plus pictures)
- Civilization and its Malcolm-tents: Malcolm Holcombe and the Butt-Roasted Brazil Nuts
- Suicide is Stainless: The Suicide Girls Burlesque Revue
- Joey to the World: The Naming of Streets is a Serious Matter
- Caroline and Sarah: Speak, Memory
- Poems for the Day: Two Short Poems
- Minty Fresh Urinal Cakes (#55): Use
- Personality Types: Girls with Glasses
- Parental Advisory: Epstein’s Mother’s Got Nothing on Us
- Sinus Friction: When Bad Colds Happen to Good People
- The Sounds of Silence: Bluegrass at the Bluestone and Thanksgiving in the Air
- Another Bel Di: Madama Butterfly Turns 100
- It Isn’t Over ’til the Chubby Guy Sings: Popa Chubby at the Waterfront
- Hello, It’s Me - and Todd, Too: Todd Rundgren and Linus on Digital Music (and the discussion starts with The Other Matrix, Reloaded)
- The Duyvil Made Me Do It: The First of Many Trips to Spuyten Duyvil
- Luscious Beers and Bubbly Women: Blind Tiger, Pussycat Lounge
- If the Chouffe Fits: Beer and Battlestar
- Oh Bone Pain: My Back Hurts, so I Go to See Matrix Revolutions. Ow.
- 5ive Years in Reverse: The Halloween Costume Hall of Fame
- Rodents and Philology: And Yiddish
Selected Movie Reviews: